Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hand-painted Cups from Taiwan (Finch and Butterfly)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Finch

Butterfly

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
竹君 ~ Zhújun (Bamboo King)

I received these from Kkik Da Geo a few years ago and if I'd known they were limited, I'd have bought more. They are absolutely exquisite. I also had a lotus pond one that I may have given to my mother, that was also beautifully painted.

With the exception of Yixing pottery, Taiwan actually produced superior tea ware, especially cups. There are also a number of master potters in Taiwan who have obtained Yixing Zisha clay and are making exception pots.

Most new cups I've looked at from China are machine made and the images are halftone prints and the dots are easily noticeable but the Taiwanese cups tend to be hand painted with a large variety of traditional images.




No comments:

Post a Comment