Sunday, November 24, 2013

"Pumpkin" Yixing zisha pot

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I used to admire this teapot often in the teashop, without ever really thinking to buy it, until one day, the owner told me if I want it, the price was about to go up. Obviously, I'm a sucker for a sales pitch...

What I like about it is that it's a pumpkin design but still retains an overall simplicity. The lid reminds me of a persimmon and I like the Gong Chun style spout. The clay is a nice dark-orange with small chunks of stone. Though the walls are quite thin, it's a highly porous clay, making it good pot for puer. The grooves it the lid tend to pool water, leaving marks but that's not such a big deal. The quality of the Yixing clay is very high. The chunky clay is actually very difficult to fire without the pot exploding in the kiln. These aren't nearly the largest chunks I've seen, but they do add to the pot's value. They also make the pot a little more interesting as the patina develops, creating a nice contrast and unique beauty.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug









No comments:

Post a Comment